Slowly collecting original pressings of jazz records and blogging about them along the way
Jazz On Record
- Ronnie Ross – Cleopatra’s Needle (Fontana SFJL 915)Ronnie Ross is one of those musicians most people have never heard of but, unwittingly, they have probably heard at least one of his recordings.
- Sonny Rollins – The Sound of Sonny (Riverside RLP 12-241)By 1957, Sonny Rollins was established as the pre-eminent tenor saxophonist in modern jazz. Stints with Miles Davis, the Clifford Brown/Max Roach quintet and Thelonious Monk and a stunning series of records under his own name for Prestige Records had provided ample justification for the soubriquet Saxophone Colossus.
- McCoy Tyner – Inception (Impulse! A-18)Inception was McCoy Tyner’s first record as leader and he appears to have been confident enough not to hide behind a band with the added spice of horn players.
- Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers – Indestructible! (Blue Note BLP 4193)The hardest of hard bop is synonymous with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers and both the front cover and the title of Indestructible! leave you in no doubt that the man meant business.
- John Coltrane – Giant Steps (Atlantic SD 1311)Brace yourselves for a story of controversy and revelation! Hardly what you’d expect from a 50+ year old record but sometimes life is surprising. Before all that though, let’s consider the music…
Collector’s Field Guides
- Collector’s Field Guide #1: Miles Davis – Ascenseur Pour L’échafaud (Fontana 660.213 MR)Many 10-inch jazz LPs have an aura about them but Ascenseur Pour L’échafaud seems to possess an even greater degree of je ne sais quoi. This tiny jewel of a collector’s item combines the hipness of New York’s pre-eminent modern jazz personality with the chic of French New Wave cinema.
"Philly" Joe Jones Alan Dawson Barry Harris Ben Dixon Ben Tucker Bill Hardman Billy Gardner Billy Higgins Blue Mitchell Bobby Timmons Bob Cranshaw Booker Ervin Curtis Fuller Dave Bailey Don Rendell Duke Pearson Frank Haynes Grant Green Hank Mobley Harold Mabern Jr Harold Vick Jaki Byard Jimmy Cobb John Coltrane John Patton Julian Cannonball Adderley Larry Ridley Lee Morgan Louis Hayes McCoy Tyner Miles Davis Mole Jazz Nat Adderley Nat Hentoff Orrin Keepnews Paul Chambers Red Garland Richard Davis Roy Haynes Sam Jones Sonny Clark Stanley Turrentine Tubby Hayes Wayne Shorter Wynton Kelly
Art Blakey Artists Atlantic Blue Mitchell Blue Note Bobby Hutcherson Booker Ervin British Jazz Chet Baker Collector's Field Guides Columbia Columbia UK Lansdowne Series Dave Bailey Dexter Gordon Don Rendell Duke Pearson Epic Fontana Freddie Redd Hank Mobley Ian Carr Impulse! Jazz On Record John Coltrane John Patton Julian Cannonball Adderley Kenny Burrell Labels Lee Morgan Liberty McCoy Tyner Miles Davis Mosaic New Jazz Nina Simone Philips Prestige Riverside Ronnie Ross Roy Haynes Sonny Rollins Tubby Hayes